Labels

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Get to know one of Pennsylvania Ballet's Apprentices Edward Barnes


Q: How old were you when you began dancing?

A: I began dancing when I was 5… I’ve been dancing a long time!

Q: When did you know that you wanted to be a dancer?

A: As soon as I took my first class I knew I wanted to be a dancer. Then I saw Balanchine’s Nutcracker with Macaulay Culkin and Darci Kistler, and that sealed the deal.

Q: What’s your pre-performance ritual?

A: My pre-performance ritual is pretty much the same always; I get a big cup of coffee from Starbucks, and get to the theatre about two and a half hours before curtain. I do my hair, and then I start my makeup. I like to get my makeup done in my own time and in the quiet of an empty dressing room. I then take warm up and after that, I come back to the dressing room and relax a little before the show. I usually try to get dressed at the fifteen-minute call so I don’t feel to stressed, and then on with the show!

Q: What’s your favorite role to perform?

A: Thus far my favorite role I’ve performed is El Capitan in George Balanchine’s Stars and Stripes. However, I love anything Balanchine so those ballets will always be fun for me to dance.

Q: What dancer were you inspired by growing up?

A: Growing up, I adored Gelsey Kirkland. She was one of the greatest dancers of all time. When I saw Darci Kistler a few years later on The Nutcracker video, she became my favorite ballerina, and to this day she still is. Only later on did I find videos of Peter Martins and Sean Lavery and all those wonderful New York City Ballet men, and became inspired by them.

Q: If you weren’t a dancer, what do you think you would you be?

A: If I weren’t a dancer, I would either be an interior designer, or an architect. Or perhaps a model… you know I really have no idea! I love ballet too much!

Q: What is the best thing about dancing for Pennsylvania Ballet?

A: All the Balanchine we get to do here!

Q: What is your favorite costume you wore?

A: My favorite costume ever would probably be the Cavalier tunic when I did Cavalier at Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet.

Q: What advice would you give to all the aspiring dancers out there?

A: Always give 150%. You are only young once, and if you work hard and work properly from an early age you will be set for the rest of your career.

Q: What’s your most memorable moment dancing at Pennsylvania Ballet?

A: Coming on for the finale of Theme and Variations. There is so much energy and it’s such a wonderful end to a beautiful ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment