Labels

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Get to know Pennsylvania Ballet Company member Katelyn Prominksi


Q: How old were you when you began dancing?

A: I started movement classes when I was 5 years old.

Q: When did you know that you wanted to be a dancer?

A: When I was 10 years old. I switched to a more "serious" ballet school and had the opportunity to perform with The Joffrey Ballet while they were on tour in Washington, DC.

Q: What’s your pre-performance ritual?

A: Dragonfruit Vitamin Water, liquid B12 for energy, and some Rescue Remedy sprays to keep me relaxed! I also always kiss my ribbons and knock on the stage 5 times.

Q: What’s your favorite role to perform?

A: So far, my favorite role to perform has been the Striptease Girl in "Slaughter on 10th Avenue".

Q: What dancer were you inspired by growing up?

A: Suzanne Farrell, Barbara Walczak, and Gelsey Kirkland.

Q: If you weren’t a dancer, what do you think you would you be?

A: I have a lot of "second life" desires... a CIA or FBI agent, a lawyer, or somehow involved in real estate. I also love the environment, foundation, and community work. Anything to help others!

Q: What is the best thing about dancing for Pennsylvania Ballet?

A: I really enjoy how PA Ballet is like a family. It's so nice working with former dancers from the same company because they know exactly how you feel. Everyone is incredibly encouraging!

Q: What is your favorite costume you wore?

A: I haven't worn any yet, but I love everything Martha Chamberlain designs for Matthew Neenan's works. They are elegant costumes, yet still show off your body's lines fabulously!

Q: What advice would you give to all the aspiring dancers out there?

A: You can never work hard enough! Always dance with energy, passion, and grace!

Q: What’s your most memorable moment dancing at Pennsylvania Ballet?

A: Last year during one of our mixed rep programs, I was in the second cast for "Octet". During the first stage rehearsal, the day before the show opened, my first cast got injured and I had to go in at the last minute. The next day I only had a dress rehearsal to work with the cast to prepare me for the show that night. "Octet" had very difficult partnering, but thankfully Ian Hussey, my new partner, was super skilled and talented and we had a blast together.

No comments:

Post a Comment